Clinical Supervision for Professionals
Growing the professional
Providers of mental health services know that it can be demanding work. Not only do we need to often deal with people in crisis; we also have a strong need to stay current with recent developments in the field. For this reason, professional bodies such as PACFA and ACA insist that clinical supervision is necessary. They see it as important for providing ethical services to our clients. This requirement doesn't end when professionals become more experienced; therefore, the need for ongoing supervision is a lifelong requirement to maintain registration with professional bodies.
However, clinical supervision is often valued by those who don't need it to maintain professional standing. For those that experience it, the combination of personal support and ongoing talking about cases can then be an invaluable part of the development of the mature professional. Further, I walk the talk – I have had hundreds of hours of supervision, from my first experience as a counsellor up to and including the present day.
Why do I need clinical supervision?
Supervision is a professional relationship you form with another professional. The goals of clinical supervision can vary, but because it is tailored to the individual it can be about:
- getting personal support for the work you do,
- having a sounding board of another clinician for complex or difficult cases,
- gaining access to extra resources for dealing with clients,
- practicing the application of interventions,
- reviewing the clinical work you are doing (including supervision),
- talking about your professional goals and aspirations,
- updating your administrative (and also your financial) systems,
- working your way through ethical issues,
- talking through tricky issues such as pricing and cancellations,
- connecting with other professionals,
- managing difficult relationships in agencies,
- debriefing difficult and stressful sessions, and,
- whatever other topic helps you develop to be the person you want to be.
What supervision isn't
Supervision is about helping you to become a better professional through growth of the self. It isn't about compliance or harsh evaluation. Because it is tailored to your work, it's about you, and what you want to achieve.
Unfortunately, many starting out as professionals balk at the cost of clinical supervision. This is especially true for those who receive limited income from clients. Because of this, it can be tempting to reduce the amount of supervision you have. That's such a shame, because is in these starting years that counsellors, psychotherapists and psychologists need the most support and can benefit the most from the help of another professional.
For this reason, I offer clinical supervision at a negotiated affordable cost, even for those starting out on their journey.
If you would like to discuss this with me, contact me on 0400 469 449 or at email@example.com. I can give you an outline of my services; if you are interested, we can arrange to meet and further discuss what you are looking for and how I might help.
I offer clinical supervision face to face in Richmond and Sunbury, and also by encrypted Zoom video link and phone.